Zealand curriculum framework
How to use the worksheets
How to participate
Worksheet 9: Choosing a class representative
Applying the democratic process in the classroom
- How you can influence policy on issues that affect you by voting:
- For your representative on the School Council;
- By becoming informed about the Electoral process and the need
to be 'informed and responsible participants'.
- Prepare yourselves to vote for your student representative on the Board
Divide the class into four groups. What issues do you think the Board
Make a list:
- What sort of person
would best represent you and the class?
- List the attributes
Hold a 'plenary' session
(ie. a session involving the entire class).
- Each group reports
on their discussion.
- Appoint someone
to make a summary of the 'findings' and present them to the class for
- Take your recommendations
to the School Council.